Start off 2020 and the new decade with these suggestions to transform yourself into a new, happier and healthier YOU, while helping the planet and environment at the same time!
6 Tips for Healthy Living:
Try to avoid buying pre-packaged, pre-made, or artificially preserved boxed and canned foods. These products have preservatives, chemicals, and unnatural ingredients added to them that enable them to have a shelf life way longer than normal. Why eat this when you can buy fresh foods?
Next time you go to the grocery store, make a conscious effort to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables! Produce is high in antioxidants, packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber while being low in calories. Make a habit to eat a veggie or fruit at every meal. Pick up a fruit or veggie you have never tried before the next time you shop to add variety and keep your meals or snacks interesting.
2.“Unplug” Once a Week - Technology is an incredible advancement and tool that will forever be a part of our lives. However, technology in excess can be harmful to our mental and emotional health. Many people have become obsessed with constantly checking in on social media sites, playing games, or endless hours of web surfing. This consumes our time and makes us less productive, and even can lead to anxiety and depressing feelings or tendencies. Completely unplugging once a week for a screen-free day will open up that time for self-care, or for engaging and spending your time with another person who is important for you!
3. Get an Adequate Amount of Sleep - You can’t overestimate the importance of sleep. For adults, sleeping a minimum of seven hours per night is what you need in order to regenerate your body and stabilize energy levels to feel good and be productive the next day. Children need even more hours of rest. Among the many benefits from sleep, it helps you live longer, decreases stress, and improves memory.
4. Exercise – Finding a form of “exercise” is crucial to a healthy and happy life. Exercise can be what ever you want it to be, as long as it is physical movement for your body! Whether it is biking, jogging, yoga, swimming, playing a sport, or going to a traditional gym; find what best suites you and find at least one hour a day to dedicate to being active. Exercise has been proven to relieve stress and anxiety and can act as a form of meditation in freeing your mind. Not only does it help your mental health but your physical as well, bringing you DOUBLE the benefits!
5. Quit a Bad Habit – Everybody has a habit or tendency that has a negative effect on them, whether it be small or big. Pick one negative habit this new year to try and cut out of your lifestyle. Do not be too hard on yourself or expect yourself to quit cold turkey! Pace yourself; and work on it little by little each day. Bad habits could include drinking less, cutting out sugars and sweets, biting your nails, etc! To help yourself break your habit, surround yourself with positive influences and people who will not enable your bad habit, visualize yourself succeeding, have strong willpower, and stay positive. However, don't beat yourself up for slip-ups or use them as rationales for quitting your habit.
6. Be Present – While we are so busy planning for our future, and working towards our goals, we often forget to live in the moment. You can’t change the past and worrying excessively about the future is sometimes futile because situations and conditions in life are constantly changing. The present moment is all you have. Embrace it and appreciate it! The here and now is the only place to be, in fact it’s the only place you can be!
6 Tips to an Eco-Friendly Lifestyle:
Here are a few examples:
6. Use Plant-Based Cleaning Products – Look for brands that are produced from natural, sustainable, and plant-based ingredients that are biodegradable and don’t leave chemical and toxic residues behind. Not only will this help the environment, but this is healthier for you, and your family as well.